Monday, January 15, 2007

Michael Brecker dead

Yesterday I got the sad news that Michael Brecker has passed away. At the age of 57 due to leukemia. I had no clue that this great musician was ill. Just two and a half years ago he took centerstage at the North Sea Jazz Festival.

The North Sea Jazz Festival in The Hague, Netherlands is where I got to know him during his famous collaboration with his brother in the early 90s. I loved the fusion work of the Brecker brothers and greatly appreciated Michael Brecker's solo work as well as his collaboration with others. I too was shocked yesterday to hear the news (it was big enough to reach the national prime time news broadcast in Holland and rightly so) and lament the loss of this intelligent and multi-talented musician.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home